1) Dean Ween fucking killed it.
2) I didn’t realize this when I bought my ticket, but the show was at this quaint little seaside restaurant in the middle of the Cape Cod dunes.
3) Because of that, this was one of the most intimate shows I’ve ever been to.
4) The band started out as a quartet, with Dean on guitar and vocals. After a couple of songs Dean asked the shirtless man standing next to me to come on stage. Turns out that was Guy fucking Heller (aka Dickie Moist from Moistboyz).
5) On two separate occasions, Guy lit a cigarette onstage, took a few drags, and then handed the cigarette to me to finish. I don’t care if this is weird, but I saved the butts.
One of the best shows I’ve been to in a while. Even though all my friends bailed I’m so glad I decided to still go.
via Mickey Melchiondo:
in honor of the roots playing “nicole” as the walk on music for nicole ritchie the other night, i’d like to present the one and only live version ever recorded from the anniversary concert of GWS which was on 9/15—-the first night anyone went out after 9/11. hopefully this will be the next record in the Chocodog Catalog, as we’ve been sitting on it for years. Claude Coleman Jr., Dave Dreiwitz, Aaron, Me, and Andrew Weiss.
Aaron Freeman, a.k.a. Gene Ween, on going sober and leaving his band of a quarter-century
"I’m thinking, ‘If I get one song, at this point in my life, that’ll be fucking amazing.’"
Aaron Freeman (formerly Gene Ween) performs “Object” at WNRN in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Aaron Freeman (a.k.a. Gene Ween) Unveils Pop Adorned 'Freeman' LP
Aaron Freeman’s full length due on July 22 via Partisan Records
You can stream the album in full there.
A fan shot this video with a cell phone and I added the soundboard audio to it. This song was totally a group effort, I wrote and recorded the muisc while Gabe sat there and said “you should call it Nightcrawler. Later that night my buddy Dylan came over and he has a way with words and he wrote the lyrics in like 10 minutes, the next night Guy sang the lead vocal. Sexy serpentine groove
Somehow I can’t believe this is real, am I getting pranked? Did the Roots just play “Nicole” by Ween——the most fucked up song off our first album, a song that we never played live once? I’m gonna reserve judgment, jesus h. christ…….in front of Nicole Richie walking out onstage? I’ve met these dudes a few times and knew they were fans, but this is one of the deepest cuts in our catalog. Tell me this is a prank…………